The Ribbans Park development in Ipswich has been recognised for the delivery of their Travel Plan with Modeshift STARS Bronze Accreditation, becoming the first in the Country to do so. When complete, the Bovis Homes residential development will house 227 dwellings and this has been supported by the implementation of a Residential Travel Plan, which aims to reduce the impact of peak hour car journeys generated by the development and support the adoption of sustainable travel modes by residents.
The Travel Plan, which has been developed by Stuart Michael Associates Limited (SMA) has 5 objectives:
- To increase awareness of alternative travel options with residents.
- Provide travel information packs.
- Offer a subsidised voucher scheme to incentivise sustainable travel choices.
- Raise awareness of the benefits of car sharing and provide details to connect to local car share databases.
- Maintaining a line of communication with residents to ensure they have access to relevant travel information.
This package of measures combined with a site audit, detailed monitoring surveys and action planning, led to the development securing STARS Bronze Accreditation.
The development provides good links to the public transport network; all of the dwellings are within a 6-minute walk of the nearest bus stop connecting the development to Ipswich Town Centre, and railway access is within a mile of the development, providing an 11-minute walk to the branch line between Ipswich and Felixstowe.
In addition to the location of the development, Travel Information Packs have been provided to the first occupants of each household. These provide residents with travel information for various sustainable travel modes (walking, cycling, public transport, car share) and provide further details of the aims and objectives of the 5-year plan. This direct involvement with local residents is designed to encourage adoption and support the behaviour change process to more sustainable modes.
The resident Travel Information Pack will include (but is not limited too):
• Walking and cycling route maps of the local area and where possible journey times and distances;
• Contact details for accessing cycle training;
• Promotion of the benefits of active travel;
• Subsidised Sustainable Travel Voucher (to the value of £140.00) for use on bus/rail
tickets or a cycle voucher;
• Bus and rail route maps and associated timetables;
• Fare information for bus and rail services (inclusive of PlusBus);
• Promotion of the county and national car share databases and the associated
benefits of participation in car sharing; and
• Information about local shops offering online shopping and home delivery services.
“As Travel Plan Coordinators for the site, we are very pleased to have achieved this on behalf of our Client. Over the years we have won other awards for the Travel Planning services we provide for our Clients, but this is excellent news for this site. We will continue to work hard with Suffolk County Council, Ipswich Borough Council and other stakeholders to ensure we are delivering a Travel Plan in line with current best practice principles, that provides residents with realistic options to travel via sustainable modes.” says Martin Ohrland, Director at Stuart Michael Associates Limited.
Doug Law, regional land director at Bovis Homes part of the newly-formed Vistry Group, said “Creating sustainable communities is in our DNA and Bovis Homes is proud to be part of the country’s first STARS accreditation for work at our Ribbans Park location, with Stuart Michael Associates Ltd, Suffolk County Council and Ipswich Borough Council. This is a fantastic achievement and shows that with strong collaboration, alternative transport options – with the main aim of reducing peak time car journeys – can be implemented to the major benefit of home owners. As well as increasing awareness, the plan includes regular communication and a subsidised voucher scheme and we look forward to seeing residents’ travel improve as a result.”
Since the site began construction in 2015, SMA has provided a series of promotional measures aimed at encouraging and incentivising travel via sustainable modes. This will continue for the remainder of the Travel Plan period until the site is fully occupied.
Nick Butler, Modeshift STARS National Accreditation Manager said “To see the first residential development gaining STARS Accreditation is fantastic. It is a great example of collaborative working between Bovis Homes Limited, Stuart Michael Associates Limited and Suffolk County Council. We are delighted to recognise this development with Bronze STARS Accreditation.”
If you would like more information regarding the Modeshift STARS scheme, visit www.modeshiftSTARS.org